Friday, May 30, 2008

Jesus Camp

I just got done watching "Jesus Camp" and I am pretty shocked. I guess I shouldn't be, but I am.

If you don't know what "Jesus Camp" is about here is a description:
Jesus Camp directed by Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady directors of the critically acclaimed The Boys Of Baraka follows Levi Rachael and Tory to Pastor Becky Fischer's "Kids On Fire" summer camp in Devil's Lake North Dakota where kids as young as 6 years-old are taught to become dedicated Christian soldiers in "God's army". The film follows these children at camp as they hone their "prophetic gifts" and are schooled in how to "take back America for Christ." The film is a first-ever look into an intense training ground that recruits born-again Christian children to become an active part of America's political future.

I grew up catholic, so the word "evangelical" was like a foreign language to me. Then I came to college, got involved in Chi Alpha and things changed. I saw this "movement" firsthand and experienced it for two years weekly and on a larger scale at conferences.

Then I got involved in CRU and things were different, in a good way.

This "camp" is one of the craziest radical things I have ever seen. It follows the story of three kids who are about as evangelical as they come, and have a twisted view of what Christianity is all about. From global warming to speaking in tongues over a cardboard cut out of George Bush, this movie is pretty disturbing.

At the beginning of this documentary, Pastor Becky Fischer tells an audience of children it is their duty to change the world because there are too many fat and lazy Christians out there that are not helping. Crazy thing is she weighs 250-300 pounds. She also states that she wants her children to be as radical as Muslim Jihadists.

The only voice of reason in this entire thing is Mike Papantonio, an attorney and talk show host who is absolutely astonished at what Fischer is teaching these kids.

These people mean well, and they really do believe everything they are preaching. There were some good parts to this movie, but for the most part it was scary.

Watch this video on Youtube, let me know what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caX9g6uHciU

No comments: