Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Faith and the 08 Election

It is March 4th, which means that today Texas may decide who is the next President of the United States. A scary thought, one certainly I didn't think would happen. I most definitely thought that by now we would already know for the most part on both sides who the nominees would be. We still really know that McCain is the guy for the republicans, but the democrats is a different story.

Being a Christian, and voting in elections often means you have a different agenda than most people. Although I would venture to say that Christians take a look at their faith, and politics, the two hardly go hand and hand.

Way back John Edwards spoke about how prayer helped him get through the death of his son and his wife's cancer diagnoses. Obama repeatedly used a phrase that most of us are familiar with "my brother's keeper" as he spoke about poverty and injustice. Clinton's faith came about when she was talking about getting her through her husband's infidelities.

The candidates on both side I believe have brought up intimate real discussions regarding faith and how it informs both their views on policy, the world, people, and how they themselves live their daily lives.

On the other side, Giuliani is a Roman Catholic who sadly is on his third marriage and who takes liberal positions on social issues. McCain, who is looking like the "winner" is Episcopalian, but rarely mentions his faith. Romney talked about his Mormonism as central to his life, but he's done at least for 08.

McCain is not my guy, and the fact that I am Christian does not mean that I HAVE to vote Republican. I have heard that, and did in 2004 when I cast my vote for *Gasp* ........John Kerry. Not George Bush. Four years later, I am proud to say I voted for John Kerry. Would he have done any better in office? I don't know. What I do know is that I have been an Obama supporter for over a year, and cast my vote for him weeks ago.

Obama 08

No comments: