Wednesday, March 12, 2008

THAT Guy

Most of the time, being THAT guy, normally had a bad connotation to it. You don't want to be THAT guy. Whether its

That guy that always tells horrible stories
That guy that smells bad
That guy that can't get over himself

I want to be THAT guy.

What guy? What is he talking about? Has he lost his mind?

The answer in one word, is absolutely.

I often don't get too upset with the things of this world. I mean they are of this world. I won't be able to take my money (or lack thereof) with me. On the day I die, they wont say I had X number of friends. It just doesn't really matter all that much.

What does matter though is being happy in the Lord, and finding people to share that experience with on a daily basis. People you can learn with together, but also people whose company you enjoy and hope that they enjoy yours.

Throughout High School, and even college (actually especially during college) I knew/know people.

I try to be as friendly as possible to people, even though it's hard sometimes, and I fail a great deal of the time. I however am nice to people, saying hi, waving, shaking hands, ironically much like a politician, minus the corruptness.

I came to college, got involved in Chi Alpha, and quickly established a group of friends like I mentioned above. People that I could grow with, but at the same time take it easy and have a good time.

Times changed, I left Chi Alpha to join CRU.

I don't regret the decision one bit, because I have met amazing people, and grown a great deal, but I can't help but wonder how things would be if I had stayed with Chi Alpha.

Chi Alpha, is probably about half the size of CRU, but has the same amount of heart and passion for Christ than students in CRU.

At Chi Alpha, I would like to think, actually I am pretty sure I was THAT guy. Not in a bad way, but in a popular way. I had a room on campus that was great, was growing in my walk, loved the people I was around. I was THAT guy that everyone wanted to be around. The guy that people called first when something was going on, or called to see what was going on. One of my friends even called me the "events coordinator."

Coming to CRU, and even to this day I am still not THAT guy. Although I think people enjoy spending time with me, and I enjoy spending time with them I am often left on the outside of things. 

I live off campus, have a super busy professional life whether its the internship, ASG, or anything else, I am just not THAT guy.

I find myself making the phone calls to see whats happening, most of the time things already in progress.

This post isn't meant to be Emo, or depressing, or even to try and make me feel like I am THAT guy. CRU is just so big, and I have spread myself thin as far as relationships. I am still the person that everyone knows, and I guess I have to live with that.

I guess I am THAT guy that loves Jesus and loves people. Does anything else really matter? Even whether or not I am THAT guy?

1 comment:

Jana said...

I think you are That guy.
That guy that I wanna slap in the face.
I miss you friend.