Friday, March 14, 2008

Podcasts and Scripture

I enjoy reading. I have a huge collection of books in my room. Most of them pertain to sports, christianity, and politics, plus the random ones like the biography of Selena. Theres no denying that I enjoy going to half price books, and could probably max out a credit card there if given the chance. There is so much knowledge to be gained from books. Think about it. Think about how many books there are in the entire world, and how their pages are filled with the exact things you are reading now, words.

I even read my textbooks for school. Hard to believe, but it's true.

Why though is it so hard to read scripture sometimes? I fall into pits where I simply just don't read. I would rather listen to a podcast of a sermon, or watch a sermon on tv, talk scripture with someone, hear others opinions on scripture, etc, but when it comes to actually sitting down with a bible and reading the Word of God, I often find it to be a challenge.

So, when people ask or allude to the fact of "being in the word" I often find myself in an awkward position. I am in the word because of the things that I do like listen to podcasts and even CRU meetings from over schools, but is that actually being in the word?

I guess that its good to do those things like podcats, but that shouldn't be your only source of scripture. Podcasts are great, and I have grown a great deal just listening to them on a daily basis walking to class instead of listening to music.

The true way to grow though is to actually read,memorize,and teach scripture and the best way to do that is to literally sit down and read it from an actual bible.

Why is it so hard to do!?

No comments: